Why choose Mary, Seat of Wisdom for your child’s education?
One of the reasons that parents choose a Catholic education for their child is that a Catholic school environment provides Catholic identity, academic excellence, and partnership in education. How does Mary, Seat of Wisdom fit this model? You may be surprised at all our parish school has to offer.
- Learning environment steeped in Christian values, beginning at preschool level.
- Prayer begins the school day and lunch period, and concludes the day at dismissal.
- Students are involved in planning and presenting liturgies and prayer services throughout the school year, including a Nativity Pageant, May Crowning and Living Stations of the Cross.
- Yearly School themes center on Catholic values, such as prayer and social outreach.
- Sacramental Preparation for First Holy Communion, Reconciliation, and Confirmation
- Prayer Partners and Guardian Angels programs pair older students with younger ones for faith-building activities, service projects, and mentoring.
- Service-learning projects at every grade level strengthen values of reaching out to those in need.
- Retreats for 1st through 8th grade
- Recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
- Terra Nova scores are in the top 10% of the nation.
- Full-day Kindergarten program provides for enrichment and reinforcement of curriculum.
- Graduating students routinely rank in upper levels on placement tests, and continue to excel in high school.
- Special needs resources and District 64 resources are available on-site.
- Accelerated Reader Program
- Accelerated Math Program, grades 4-8
- Reading Resource Specialist on staff and available to all grade levels.
- Foreign language (Spanish) instruction begins in Kindergarten.
- Junior High Speech Contest held annually.
- All students attend art, music and PE classes.
- Creative writing workshops
- Tutoring and homework help available
- Small class size allows for individual attention.
- Regular visits to school library; instruction in media, research, and writing techniques
- Technology/computer lab in regular use by students including instruction in computer applications such as Word, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, iMovie and GarageBand.
- Academic Competition Teams in both General Knowledge and Mathematics; Battle of the Books Team
- Additional music instruction available through band program beginning in grade 4, Suzuki violin instruction beginning in kindergarten, and private piano lessons.
- Junior High Science Program emphasizes experimentation and includes a robotics component.
Partnership in Education
- Family-School Association provides many enriching programs for students such as Cultural Arts, Junior Great Books, school picnic, and provides funds for improvements and special programs.
- Extended Day Program – before & after school care/special programs and events for school holidays
- PowerSchool, our student information system, allows student and parent access to our on-line grade book.
- Reading Buddies program pairs older students with younger for exploration of literature and expanding reading skills.
- School Board of Specified Jurisdiction involves pastor, principal, and parents of current students and alumni, and community members.
- Inter-Catholic school athletics begin in 4th grade – Track/Cross Country, Basketball, Volleyball, Soccer, and Softball. All students are able to participate. School teams and intramural sports available.
- Abundant opportunities for extra-curricular activities—Algebra Club, Kids Who Care, Cook With Books, etc.
- Daily hot lunch program available.
- Annual 4th grade performance of “The Nutcracker”.
- Junior High dances, ski trip, and trips to Springfield and Washington, D.C.
- Cheerleading teams for 7th and 8th grade
- Active Scouting programs for boys and girls